For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. ~ Philippians 2:13

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Beginning of the school year, planting seeds, and a belly pic

The first week of school has arrived!

Now, I know you are scratching your head and looking at the calendar. To answer the unspoken (technically unheard) question, yes, it is indeed May and yes, we are starting school. The beauty of homeschooling is that I can do whatever I want :)

Let me explain my reasoning.

We live in WI, the frigid North. When the lucky, toasty kids down South get to learn about insects and flowers and actually see and touch them, we have snow. No bugs. No flowers. Not even a blade of grass to study. Just cold, ice, snow, and barren trees. So, I am doing some science and our nature study at a time of year when my kids can learn about nature by seeing and touching it, not just reading about it from a boring old textbook. While I am at it, we are doing math, reading, and some other fun Summer-y projects.

This week's big project is planting seeds and watching them grow. Now, learning about flowers and plants is actually part of W's curriculum but I added the planting seeds part. Ulterior motives. All his books have him do is read about seeds but my garden needs to be started and my beloved children need to learn how to help me so I don't have to work as much (like I said, ulterior motives - child labor, bwahahahahahaa!!!!).

How To Plant A Garden, Step 1: Eat Pop Ice. Ok, not exactly but the boys didn't complain.

They took turns putting in the potting soil. Most of it actually went into the egg cartons. W was a little concerned that some got on the ground until I explained that it was just plain old dirt and some getting on the ground wouldn't hurt anything.

Smoothing out the soil and making it even.

Planting seeds! We planted watermelon, summer squash, peas, and beans. The boys like the beans the best. Why, I have no idea.

(Pic removed)
Watering the planted seeds. You can see my ice water melting in the sun in the background. I was rather disappointed when I went to take a sip later.

Mission accomplished! The little seedlings should be ready to plant in the actual garden in a couple of weeks. More, um, school work. Tee hee hee.

Enjoying a bounce or two after their 'strenuous' work.

(Pic removed)
I asked him to smile for the camera. This is what I got.

(Pic removed)
This is what Missy was up to while the boys and I were hard at work in the heat of the day. Sleeping in front of a fan. Life is rough for the baby of the family.


(Pic removed)
Post bath, watching Veggie Tales. The boys were, of course, filthy and Missy joined them in the dirt shortly after we finished the planting. She missed all the real work. Little slacker.

As promised, a belly pic. Ok, not a real one but I thought it was cool. 36 weeks 5 days! According to my pregnancy app, I have 22 days before my EDD. I am so glad the weather has been on the cooler side so that I am more comfortable. Pregnancy and heat do not mix well! Next time I will post a real belly pic. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment